ChapStick® has been around since 1889, so we know a thing or two about lip care. Taking care of your lips naturally is important: you want to make sure that the products you’re using on your skin are safe while also being effective.
With ChapStick® products like 100% Natural* Lip Butter, your lips will enjoy a special blend of five natural butters, including mango butter, shea butter, olive butter, raspberry butter, and avocado butter. ChapStick® offers lip balms that help lips feel soft and moisturized. But other products are also important for lip care, like serums and scrubs. Read on to learn how to take care of your lips naturally as well as the importance of overall lip care.
Why Lip Care is Important
Did you know your lips are the thinnest skin on your body? This is just one reason why paying close attention your lips is important—after all, lip care is skincare! Not only are your lips exposed to the elements like wind and cold, but they are also at risk of skin cancer if you are not using the correct protection. Make sure you are giving your lips a little extra TLC if you’re not already.
Things You Should Do to Care for Lips Naturally
Just as we want to eat whole foods that are rich in nutrients, we want to make sure that the products we are using on our skin are naturally derived from whole ingredients. Not only can you choose natural products like 100% Natural* Lip Butter, there are simple things you can do at home on a regular basis to take care of your lips naturally. These include:
- Exfoliation. Select a gentle lip scrub to remove dead, flaky skin. You can also gently brush your lips with a soft, wet toothbrush. Exfoliate no more than once a week to avoid irritating your lips.
- Hydrate. Note that this step is different from just moisturizing or adding lip balm. Hydrating from the inside out is an easy way to keep your lips—and the rest of your skin!—looking and feeling hydrated. Lips also dry out and chap easier than the rest of your skin because they don’t contain oil glands. Be sure you’re drinking plenty of water throughout the day, especially if you’re in a dryer climate, and try to avoid licking your lips, which can dry them out as well.
- Protect and moisturize. During the day, apply sunscreen or a lip product with SPF—like Moisturizer SPF 15—to protect your lips from damaging sun exposure. You can even layer sunscreen on top of your usual ChapStick®, but why not go with a product with SPF built-in? At night, a moisturizing lip balm or lip butter will help seal in the moisture you’re trying to rebuild from staying hydrated.
- Reapply sun protection often. If you’re out in the sun, reapply sun protection every 80-minutes to 2 hours, depending on the product. When you use a lip product with SPF, you can keep the ChapStick® on hand in your backpack, at your desk, or in your purse so you can easily remember to reapply.
- Use lip balm before bed. Make this the last step of your nightly skincare routine. Seal in all that good moisture before bed. Bedtime is a great time to use lip balm, since you probably won’t be talking, eating, or otherwise rubbing it off in your sleep!
Products to Support Lip Care
If you have a skincare regimen and are skipping your lips, that means it’s time for you to rethink your steps! Just as you can apply moisturizers and serums to the rest of your face, your lips will benefit as well. Choose gentle, lip-specific products to help ensure your smile stays moisturized and ready to smile. ChapStick® offers lip care gift packs that can complete your entire routine, or you can choose what you need individually.
- Exfoliators: Discover a natural lip scrub that will help keep your lips feeling soft. ChapStick® also offers lip scrub in Fresh Peppermint and Sugar Plum.
- Moisturizer: Select a moisturizing lip balm like our line of Moisture & Hydration lip balm. It features 100% naturally sourced ingredients.
- Lip oils: During the day, a lightweight, nutrient-rich lip oil can help leave your lips feeling smooth and healthy looking.
- Serums: Choose a paraben-free night serum for lips. It’s ultra-moisturizing and vitamin-enriched to work all night.
- H2O: Nothing beats drinking lots of water to stay hydrated! Seal in that hydration with 100% Natural *lip care that contains omegas 6 and 9 and instantly smooths and moisturizes.
No matter which products you choose to take care of your lips naturally, be sure you’re choosing ChapStick®. None of our products are tested on animals, and they’re all phthalate free.
*100% Naturally Sourced Ingredients.