Getting Ready for Pride Month: Our Partnership with the It Gets Better Project
During 2021-2022, we’ve seen a lot of upsetting news regarding the violation of human rights. The recent headlines of anti-transgender legislations have been especially disheartening for both allies and members of the LGBTQ+ community. With Pride Month approaching, it’s especially important to show our support however we can and to help amplify the voices of our transgender friends in these times of need.
We’re excited to continue our partnership with the It Gets Better Project, a non-profit organization that aims to uplift, empower and connect LGBTQ+ youth around the globe. They do this through storytelling, educational resources, a global footprint that spends 19+ countries, and a get help resource center connecting them to services around the world. Read on to learn more about the It Gets Better Project and our goal to do more for the LGBTQ+ community in 2022.
What Is the It Gets Better Project?
The It Gets Better Project was founded in 2010 after a successful social media campaign made its way through the internet. Over 70,000 LGBTQ+ people used the phrase “it gets better” to share their stories in hopes to send messages of encouragement to young members of the LGBTQ+ community. The Project adopted this phrase to spread the love and remind people that things will get better in due time. Today, the It Gets Better Project continues to reach millions of young people through educational resources, media programming and international affiliates in 19 countries. You can find helpful videos and information regarding upcoming events on the It Gets Better website.
Spreading the Word with the Love Wins ChapStick
ChapStick shares similar values with the It Gets Better Project – a desire to empower others to express themselves and uplift others through their unique voices and stories. Like ChapStick, we all come in different flavors and our differences should be celebrated and embraced. For this upcoming Pride Month, we want to do more for the community by bringing back an old favorite with new perks. This year, we’re pleased to announce that the Love Wins ChapStick will be available to purchase on our website, and 100% of sales will go directly towards the It Gets Better Project (while supplies last). Each tube of our cotton candy flavored Love Wins ChapStick is decorated with pride colors to help you show your support with every swipe. You can order a 12-count set of the Love Wins ChapStick to share the love with others.
LGBTQ+ support is more than just buying rainbow-patterned goods – it’s about spreading the love however we can. For the month of June, we’re inviting ChapStick fans and supporters of the LGBTQ+ community to share photos of kisses on Instagram using #ProudLips. Tag us in your post @ChapStick for a chance to win a limited-edition Love Wins lip balm!
Our support for the LGBTQ+ community goes beyond Pride Month. ChapStick will continue to show love for the community throughout the year during other key dates like National Coming Out Day.
Preparing for a Pride Parade
Want to show your pride while having fun? Pride parades are great ways to actively connect with the LGBTQ+ community. If you’re looking to attend your first parade, here are some tips to help you get ready:
- Dress how you want! Don’t be afraid to go all out with your outfit. Break out your rainbow gear or throw on a simple T-shirt that shows your love. Pride is all about self-expression and being yourself.
- Protect yourself from the sun! Dressing for the occasion is just as important as using sun protection, especially on a sunny day in June. Make sure to slather on the sunscreen and use an SPF lip balm to keep your skin safe from UV rays. Hats and sunglasses are also great for protecting yourself from the sun!
- Bring a friend! Pride parades are great places to make new friends but sharing the experience with someone special can make it so much more fun. Invite a few friends to tag along with you and help you navigate your way around.
- Be respectful! It’s important to have fun while being mindful of what the celebration is about. Always be respectful of your surroundings and do your part in keeping pride parades a safe space for everyone.
- Have fun! Don’t forget to enjoy yourself! Everyone is welcome to a pride parade, including straight and cisgender allies. Get out there, be yourself and have lots of fun!
ChapStick believes in supporting the LGBTQ+ community and showing pride even in the darkest times. Learn about the causes we love and how we strive to do our part in making a difference.